Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Legends Lost

We lost two pioneers in a space of two days, rap superstar Heavy D and boxing great Joe Frazier. Just the other day I heard Frazier had cancer, and now he's gone. Wow, just like that. Heavy D comes as a complete shock for me and I 'm sure many others. There was nothing to suggest that anything was wrong with D. Well there was nothing in the news to my knowledge anyway. Regardless, we are all at a loss. As I stated earlier, both were pioneers and contributed so much to their professions. Both also conducted themselves as gentlemen and gave those of us in the Black community role models to pattern ourselves after and be proud of.

I liked Heavy D. As an overweight kid growing up in the 80's, there were not many positive role models outside the home for me to identify with. Then Heavy came along. He could rap, he knew how to dress and the ladies loved him. Perfect. He gave me hope instead of letting me wallow in despair.

"Smokin" Joe was in a class by himself. A great boxer who will always be remembered for his trilogy of  battles with the legendary Muhammad Ali. Joe possessed a quiet dignity. At some point I am going to take a look at Frazier vs. Ali and add my own two cents. For now all I will say is that Frazier deserved better from Ali and the rest of the Black community.

Dwight "Heavy D" Myers and Joe Frazier, my brothers, you can rest in peace knowing that you were both a class act. We will miss and love you. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment